Mr Sam Rajaratnam FRCS (Tr. & Orth.)
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Mr. Sam Rajaratnam is one of the leading Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeons in the UK specialising in all aspects of knee surgery.
He runs The Chelsea Knee Clinic which is based at the Lister Hospital in Chelsea.
As a consultant knee surgeon, Sam has three areas of Interest within knee surgery.
1. Knee replacement surgery
- Sam is recognised throughout the UK as a leading knee specialist and performs amongst the highest number of knee replacement operations on the UK National Joint Registry each year, with excellent outcomes.
- He is an expert on Rapid Recovery techniques around the knee and believes in a multidisciplinary team approach to achieving best results.
- Sam works with specialist Orthopaedic Anaesthetists, Physiotherapists and Surgical Assistants who are all highly experienced in their own right.
- He believes that ‘cumulative marginal gains’ in surgical, anaesthetics and rehabilitative technique leads to great improvement in surgical outcomes.
2. Soft tissue reconstruction of the knee
- Sam has great expertise in treating soft tissue injuries of the knee and treats a number of sportsmen and sportswomen regularly at his knee clinic in London.
- He works collaboratively with most high end physiotherapy and rehabilitation teams in London and the South East.
- He is passionate about ‘day case’ knee ligament reconstructive procedures and has developed successful protocols for day case ACL, PCL and Patellofemoral ligament reconstructions over the years.
3. Cartilage repair and biological solutions
- Sam is interested in cartilage repair procedures of the knee and is a member of the International Cartilage Repair Society (ICRS).
- He believes that the most exciting advances in knee surgery are likely to involve the use of biological repair mechanisms and stem cell therapy to the knee, although newer techniques need to be judiciously employed to treat appropriate conditions. He believes that careful patient selection is the key to success.
- He is currently working with consultant colleagues to set up a multi centre trial to perform and evaluate the latest techniques in this field and to make his knee clinic in London a key site for the delivery of these services.
Training and awards
- Mr. Rajaratnam has been a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon specialising in knee surgery since 2008.
- He trained at Guy’s and St Thomas’s Hospital in London where he qualified with a first class degree in anatomy and an MBBS in 1997.
- He then underwent basic surgical training at the Royal College of Surgeons, England and higher surgical training at numerous centres of excellence across the south east of England and in Sydney, Australia.
- He was awarded the Walter Mercer Gold Medal for the best performance throughout Great Britain and Ireland in the final FRCS Orthopaedics and Trauma examination in 2006.
- He acted as the British Orthopaedic Association Ambassador to Hong Kong in 2007 and then spent time working in Australia at some of the world’s best knee injury and reconstructive units.
- He was appointed Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in 2008, and has now become one of the leading knee surgeons in the country with an excellent national reputation. He is on the advisory panel of the National Orthopaedic Alliance helping NHS England on developing knee surgery throughout the UK.
- Outside work, Sam is a keen sportsman, and enjoys numerous sports including golf, cricket, tennis, badminton and rugby.
- He is also a keen pianist and accordionist, and enjoys the great British countryside.
- Mr Rajaratnam pursues research in the following areas:
- Cartilage repair techniques in the knees.
- Advances in modern knee replacements.
- Knee injury and ligament reconstruction.
- Rapid recovery programmes following knee surgery
- Mr Rajaratnam’s current memberships include:
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
- Member of the British Orthopaedic Association
- Member of the British Orthopaedic Association of Knee Surgeons UK
- Member of South East Group of Knee Surgeons
- Member of International Cartilage Repair Society
- Advisor to NHS England via National Orthopaedic Alliance
To make an appointment to see Mr.Rajaratnam contact:
Polly Newham, The Chelsea Knee Clinic, The Lister Hospital, Chelsea.
t: +44 (0)20 3494 4010
f: +44 (0)20 3494 4011